Friday, April 17, 2009

Why I Facebook

 

Look at these smiling faces.
This is why I facebook.
Because without facebook, these kids may have never met.
The "big kids" are mine, the "little kids" belong to a friend from high school. And I don't think my hubby and I (who graduated high school in the same class) had seen this particular friend since graduation. I won't say exactly how many years that has been, let's just say we hadn't seen each other in a long time!
Anyway, I had kind of heard what our friend Scott had been up to over the years through a mutual friend, but it sure was good to see him again. When I went to my last reunion there were so many people I didn't know. Makes me wonder if I have changed that much too! But Scott is certainly aging gracefully and I would have known him anywhere.
We recently vacationed in the area that Scott's family calls home. So we had the opportunity to meet for lunch. The guys mostly did the "catching up" part, and I so enjoyed meeting Scott's wonderful family. I already felt like I knew his wife (thanks again, facebook!), but it was great to get to know her in person, and their two kids are wonderful--an intelligent and kind son, and a giggly little daughter that I can only describe as a huge bundle of personality in a tiny, cute package. What fun they were! Almost made me sad that my kids are so grown up--there are so many little things that I don't even remember to miss until I get around younger kids again...
So, it was great to see Scott again, to meet his beautiful family, and to share a meal and conversation which covered everything from Disney princesses to Pokemon to guitars to Broadway to the Three Star Mall! It was a great way to kick off our spring break, which maybe I'll write more about later. Frankly, I'm still trying to catch up on my sleep more than a week later!
But every time I look at the above photo, I'll remember why I facebook. Do you?
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. I <3 facebook!! I just reconnected w/ a guy from my graduating class who totally shocked me...HE was the biggest goof & least concerned about spiritual things (remember, I went to Christian school) - but in 1991 (a "few" years after we graduated) he gave his life to Christ - and the change in him now is amazing! IT's so cool to catch up on what he has been doing & to see his family. :) I am hopeful our class will have a 25th reunion in a "few" years...I'd love to see everyone (there were only 21 of us in our class).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found so many people I knew from High School via facebook!!! I love it, between that and connecting with friends through the military - it's an amazing tool.

    huh, that's how we reconnected. You found me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was such an honor and pleasure to meet you and your family!!! Thank you for your kind and generous words. It is so ironic you mention about seeing my little ones and remembering! I was admiring your older ones and hoping/praying for my little ones to be like yours! Nick is such a sweetheart - so handsome. I really admire how he handled my talkative son. And Emily - she's amazing - full of life, so beautiful (I LOVE her fb profile pic!)! I know you and Rob are very proud of the two of them. You have a wonderful family!

    I had fought and avoided My Space and anything like it for years. I am so thankful for a cousin sending me a link to join Facebook. Now I can’t imagine my life without it. I too felt as if I knew you already, and was so happy to meet face to face. I can't wait to do this again some time soon!

    ReplyDelete